Ella is a coronavirus online symptom tracker and analyser that aims to support people getting through coronavirus from home.
Two target groups
People who show coronavirus symptoms or were in contact with someone who had symptoms or tested positive
People looking after household members who are sick
In the initial step, platform users choose between tracking their own symptoms and tracking symptoms for someone else on the platform interface. Ella will then ask both groups questions about their symptoms in a consumer-friendly way to assess the health situation and give instructions.
Ella tracks symptoms regularly by asking her platform users questions and giving feedback until 2 weeks after the patient feels symptom free. The frequency of Ella’s interaction depends on the health condition of the patient. Ella will tell her patients when they should consult the NHS and explain symptoms.
Ella’s decisions are based on two things:
an Index which calculates the severity of symptoms and decides when a patient needs in-hospital treatment
learnings from symptoms and progression of disease of other patients
Benefits for Targeted Stakeholders
· Learn and understand symptoms of coronavirus better as well as symptoms progression and potential impact of measures taken by patient
· Access to patient symptom history
· Reduced pressure on 111 helplines
· Use data to plan demand for hospital beds
· Use data to decide what actions by the government are required
· Use data of people with symptoms to predict demand for hospital equipment which needs to be ordered in advance
· Provides instructions and helps patient to understand symptoms better
· No waiting time on phone lines and direct access to symptom assessment
· Ella will tell caregiver what he can expect and warn him when he should consult a doctor using learnings from other people who have looked after someone with severe symptoms
Relevance, Vision & USP
As the number of infected people rises and hospital capacity getting full, recovering from home is becoming more important. Through interviews I conducted with both patients and doctors, I learned that people often don’t understand how severe their symptoms are and when it is necessary to contact a doctor. Some people didn’t want to go to the hospital because they feared being put together with other patients who have the virus. Further, I learned that people who are seriously ill don’t have the energy to call 111 but are being looked after by someone.
Out of this research the idea of Ella, a COVID-19 home nurse was born. Ella aims to help everyone who is trying to recover from coronavirus symptoms from home and reduce lack of understanding of symptoms.
The platform also aims to support the NHS by looking after its patients who are staying at home and connecting both whenever necessary.
Ella would see itself partnering with governments and healthcare organisations in order to help countries through the pandemic.